Monday, July 7, 2008

Vacation!

"On the seventh day God had finished his work of creation, so he rested from all his work." - Genesis 2:2

As you may have noticed, I haven't posted a blog since last Saturday. I was on vacation this past week, and I also didn't get online very much (which was actually a nice break since I'm always online!).

Although I didn't go anywhere, I did enjoy the rest at home. It gave me a chance to work on a few projects around the house and yard, read some books, watch some DVD's and movies, take care of some doctor appointments, visit family during the Fourth of July weekend and also sleep in each day.

Stacey and I spent time together and continued to strengthen our relationship during the week away from work and the computer.

It was nice to not have any pressure or stress of places to go or things to do. We took one day at a time and did what we wanted.

I managed to fit in all my workouts during the week even though I didn't do them on my normal training days and times. My diet wasn't as good as usual because I wasn't following a daily routine. Instead of 5-6 meals each day, I ate 3-4 meals most days. I made healthy choices, but we did go out to eat several times (M'mmm sushi!!!!).

Even though I enjoyed dessert a couple times during the week, it reinforced that I don't have much of a sweet tooth and don't enjoy the way I feel after eating something sweet. My body craves good, whole, fresh foods. My cravings for sweet foods is usually only a result of me not eating properly (not eating enough protein and healthy fats - I'll talk about this in a future blog as well).

I also believe that you should treat yourself (in moderation) if you really want something (ice cream, cake, pie, pizza, etc.). But you have to be willing to deal with the consequences (sugar crash, irritability, low energy levels, digestion problems, etc.). If you eat healthy 80-90% of the time, the consequences are much more noticeable. It serves as a deterrant to eating unhealthy foods because the body reacts negatively when you consume something sugary, fried or processed. This is a good thing!

Despite a few meals eaten away from home and a couple desserts, the week went well, and I felt good coming back to work today. I have plenty of energy, I feel rested, I'm catching up on a few small projects while also getting back to my daily routine of healthy eating.

In tomorrow's blog, I'll post about my visit to the chiropractor last week where I found out something I had not known and how it explains a few issues I've had!

No comments: