Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Art of Strength and Punch Gym - kettlebell training and more with Anthony DiLuglio

"Always rejoice, constantly pray, in everything give thanks. For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

When I attended the Perform Better Seminar in Rhode Island last month, I had the good fortune of meeting Anthony DiLuglio of Punch Gym and Art of Strength.

I attended Anthony's hands-on session that included kettlebell training and also spent much time talking to him and asking him questions about Art of Strength and Punch Gym at the social and throughout the weekend.

I've used kettlebells on and off in my training since 2001. I learned how to perform the movements first from Pavel Tsatsouline, whom made them popular right around 2000-2001 through his video, book, web site and sale of official "Russian" kettlebells. There have been others who have used kettlebells in their training and become "Russian Kettlebell Certified" (RKC) since that time including Mike Mahler, Steve Cotter, John Davies and others.

However, it's been Anthony that has brought kettlebell training into the general public through the use of his web site, Punch Gym locations, DVD's, books and other training aids. I am thoroughly impressed with Anthony's materials and his teaching methods. I learned quite a bit in his hands-on session that I had not seen before. I also picked up one of his DVD's and have really enjoyed the quality of the production and how it is set up so you can train while watching the DVD.

If you are interested in kettlebell training, rope training and more, definitely take some time to check out Anthony's web site: Art of Strength.

His materials are high quality, and I highly recommend them. In fact, I recently purchased one of his Bulldog kettlebells for my own training and those I train in my garage. The advantage of the Bulldog kettlebells is that they can be loaded from 8.8lbs - 60lbs. This makes it much more affordable than buying a full set of kettlebells that could easily cost hundreds of dollars (even thousands depending on the brand and how many you buy).

The other advantage of the Bulldog kettlebells is that loading them with steel or lead shot or even sand acts as a "corrective" tool to make sure you are performing the movements correctly. For example, when performing a swing, there should be no sound or shifting of the weight. The movement generates from the hips, and if you hear the loaded material making noise, it means you are not performing the movement correctly. This is a quick and easy way to correct your own form without having to find a certified kettlebell instructor.

Once I recieve the Bulldog kettlebell and the other materials as part of the package I purchased, I'll post my feedback on my blog and include some photos as well.

For more information, check out Anthony's web site: Art of Strength!

No comments: