Monday, April 14, 2008

My 12-Week Fat Loss and Conditioning Training Phase...

"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize." - Philippians 3:13-14

When it comes to fat loss and conditioning, you have to learn to push past the pain and discomfort and the mental blocks and keep striving toward the end result. As I've said before, it's simple, but not easy. It takes focus, drive, determination, discipline and simple, hard work.

As Dan John (a strength coach in Utah) has said before:

"Fat loss is an all-out war. Give it 28 days, only 28 days. Attack it with all you have. It is not a lifestyle choice... it's a battle. Lose fat, and then get back into moderation. There's another one for you: moderation. Revelations says it best: 'You are lukewarm and I shall spit you out.' Moderation is for sissies."

I started my next 12-week training phase on Sunday with some interval training. I performed a five-minute warm-up with some bodyweight exercises and then proceeded to run my intervals. It was tough, but it felt good. Sprints done with a 1:2 work-to-rest ratio are no joke (1 minute sprint and two minutes of a light "jog" before repeating for 6-8 sets). I finished with another five-minute bodyweight circuit as my cool down. The total workout took just under 30 minutes.

Today was my weight training day, and it was brutal! It consisted of complexes followed by a four-exercise circuit using fairly heavy weights and moderate reps targeting the whole body. The training session ended with some ab work.

The rest periods were short, and the exercises were difficult. The entire workout from beginning to end took just under an hour. It felt good and let me know that the next several weeks will not be easy, but the sessions will be effective. Not only will I take my conditioning to a whole new level, but I'll be shredded in no time.

Tuesday is considered an "off" day, but this is typically the day me and some friends go for a bike ride and climb the rope and perform a few other exercises. We'll see how this day goes and if it causes any problems with my current training program soon enough.

Wednesday will be another weight workout similar to today (with different exercises, sets/reps) and Thursday will be a short, but intense conditioning workout. I'll talk more about this later this week. Friday will be the last weight training workout for the week using the same exercises as today, but different set and reps. Saturday is an off day.

I'll let you know more about this "secret" training program in the next few days! Stay tuned!

No comments: