This is an article originally written by Mike Roussell, Ph.D. I wanted to post it as today's blog since it gives some good information on how to lose weight (fat) the right way. You'll see that many of the points he makes goes along with previous blogs I've written.
There are many different ways to lose weight (by "weight" we are referring to fat loss) – some ways are very good and some ways are very bad. In this article, we will look at four wrong ways to go about losing fat and then six effective fat loss strategies that you can use to increase not only your fat loss but the rate in which you lose weight.
First, let’s look at the wrong ways to go about losing weight:
- Focus on Creating an Energy Deficit by Reducing Calories - You need to create an energy deficit - but reducing calories leads to the slowing of your metabolism. It is important to focus on increasing energy expenditure AND reducing calories (slightly).
- Removal of Dietary Fat - Despite all the advances in science, many people still believe that absolute reduction of dietary fat is the key to losing body fat. This is not the case. You need fat in the diet for a variety of functions, including losing weight!
- Relying on Weight Loss "Gimmicks" - Eating Cabbage or Grapefruit at every meal to lose body fat isn’t smart. These "diets" rely on absolute caloric restriction to elicit temporary fat loss - not some special characteristic of the "gimmick food."
- Believing some Chinese Tea will make You Thin - These web sites are ALL OVER THE PLACE. People don’t make thousands of web sites selling a product unless people are buying the product. There is no magic tea from China that will help you lose weight. Green Tea can help (but you need to drink A LOT). Ignore the celebrity "endorsements" and skip the magic tea.
Now that we got that out of the way, let’s look at six strategies that you can use to start losing weight right now. No fluff. This is what you need to do.
- Limit Your Intake of Rice, Sugary Drinks, Potatoes, Bread, etc. Until after Your Workout. This takes advantage of a biochemical window in which your body is put in a state to better process these types of foods instead of having them lay the foundation for another layer of body fat.
- Increase Your Intake of Green Leafy Vegetables (preferably at every meal). Green leafy vegetables have a "volume advantage," meaning that you get to eat lots of them without eating a lot of calories. This is a huge benefit when dieting as it will help curb your hunger.
- Eat 5-6 Times Each and Every Day. Eating more often is a required habit if you want to lose a lot of weight. It will allow for better control over blood sugar levels, a constant flow of nutrients to your body throughout the day and it will help curb hunger cravings because you will constantly be eating.
- Eat More Protein (every meal). Protein is your ace in the hole. It takes more energy to digest than other nutrients, supports the maintenance and protection of your lean body mass and is a good replacement for carbohydrates as it is not a large stimulator of insulin - which you need to control when dieting.
- Participate in Metabolically Demanding Strength Training and Interval Training 3-5 Times a Week. Metabolic resistance training, categorized by short rest periods and sets of 8-12 reps, will help you melt off the fat. Don’t be afraid to lift heavy weights just because you are dieting. Interval training (short periods of intense exercise followed by short periods of rest) has been found to be very effective for fat loss over steady-state cardiovascular exercise.
- Rinse and Repeat. Okay don’t "rinse," but repeat these steps everyday and watch your pants fall off your waist.
About the Author/More Info
Warp Speed Fat Loss is a complete 28-day diet and training system crafted to help you lose 10, 15, or 20lbs of body fat in just 28 days. To start losing weight fast visit Warp Speed Fat Loss.
Mike Roussell is a nutrition doctoral student at Pennsylvania State University. Mike's writings can be found in magazines such as Men's Health, Men's Fitness and Testosterone Nation. Mike specializes in fat loss nutrition and diets for busy men and women who need to lose weight fast without it interfering with their lives. Warp Speed Fat Loss is a complete Done-for-You A-Z Fat Loss Blueprint that gives you exactly everything you need to eat to lose weight in record time.