Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Warp Speed Fat Loss - Days 9 and 10 of 28!

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you." - 1 Peter 4:12

For me, Tuesday is always one of the hardest days on the Warp Speed Fat Loss program. The lower carbs and small meals make me feel like I'm starving all day long. The meals and snacks don't seem to hold me over, and many times, they do nothing to curb my appetite as soon as I've eaten.

Stacey seems to be doing fine with all the meals and even the lower carb days. The difference is that she didn't eat consistently prior to the start of the program and the decreased carbs and calories is not too drastic of a reduction for her. For me, I'm consuming about half of what I normally eat each day. So it is a much more drastic cut, and I can tell the difference on some days more than others.

During yesterday's intervals, Stacey felt great and really pushed herself. She likes to run/sprint, as she was once on the track team in high school. Although her current conditioning is not as good as it was then, she can see and feel herself improving each time we perform the intervals.

For me, the interval days are brutal. I'm much stronger than Stacey in the weight room and much faster than her when we sprint. I also have much more experience training and am at a much more advanced level. That means that I need more recovery time than someone still "new" to training.

Since we began, my hamstrings have been constantly sore, and performing intervals does not give them a chance to recover. During last night's sessions, I was unable to run my sprints at full speed because my hamstrings felt as though they were going to cramp up or rip right out of my leg. Although the overall session went great, I wasn't able to push myself as much as I wanted even though we had an extra set of intervals this week. But I did manage to keep my intensity higher during the 20-minute steady-state cardio session.

Normally, today would be another low-carb day (10% of total calories) along with our weight training session. However, I have a huge work-related event this evening preventing me from training. We decided to adjust the workouts by one day and made today our no-carb and no training day (instead of Sunday). That means that we will perform today's workout on Thursday, Thursday's workout on Friday, Friday's workout on Saturday and Saturday's workout on Sunday.

The only bad thing about this is that we now will be training 10 days straight before getting a day off next Sunday. I just hope that I can recover from the workouts each day and not be held back by my hamstring soreness/cramping.

Luckily, even though it's a no carb day, I do fine with the menu choices as I find protein and healthy fat foods to be much more satisfying. Today also gives me one extra day to rest before we go for the long stretch.

No comments: