Saturday, May 17, 2008

Warp Speed Fat Loss - Day 6 of 28

"You have allowed me to suffer much hardship, but you will restore me to life again and lift me up from the depths of the earth." - Psalm 71:20

I apologize for taking so long to post feedback on the Warp Speed Fat Loss program. I have been extremely busy this week. I have also been stressed with so much happening lately including work, planning a huge event, training, cooking, meal planning, chores around the house, etc.

So far, the first week has been brutal. The first day (Mon) went well because it was a higher carb day (20% of total calories) even though the workout was new compared to what I've done in the past. However, Tuesday through Thursday were "normal" carb days (only 10% of total calories) and the training was harder as we progressed each day.

On Monday, Stacey and I felt fine. We actually found it difficult to eat all our meals that day as they seemed quite filling and very satisfying. But since then, we've felt like we're starving all the time. We've been extremely irritable, have had headaches (even though we're drinking more than a gallon of water per day), our patience has been almost nonexistent (especially with each other), we've had problems focusing on tasks at work, we're sore every day from the workouts, and overall we have felt like crap.

Earlier this week, I was going through the whole "I feel skinny and fat" at the same time mentality. Stacey has not seen any noticeable changes and has actually gained a pound so far even though she has stuck to the plan consistently and has worked hard during the training sessions. But from what I've heard, it's the first week that is the hardest, and it takes a week for the body to adjust.

However, I feel a lot better today than I have most of the first week. Friday was a higher carb day (20% of total calories instead of 10% like most days), and the training went much, much better. I had an intense headache most of the afternoon, so I took some Excedrin during my warm-up sets. Within 15 minutes, my headache was gone and the caffeine made a HUGE impact on the training. I was like a machine and was able to bust through the heavy deadlifts, weight circuits and the intervals like they were nothing.

I think I may need to start using a little caffeine before my weight workouts (Mon, Wed, Fri) to give me a little boost to get through the workout and be able to increase weight each week. I normally don't take any products with caffeine, and I don't drink soda or coffee, so I am very sensitive to its effects.

As far as the meals go, we're eating six meals per day with fruits, veggies, protein and healthy fats (and the meals are actually really good and give you wiggle room to season the lunch/dinners as you wish), and we're taking at least one scoop of Surge after every workout (six days per week). I usually take two scoops after the weight days (Mon, Wed, Fri) and one scoop after the interval/steady-state cardio days (Tues, Thurs, Sat). It hasn't helped with soreness, but I haven't lost any strength or mass so that's a good sign.

Stacey and I are following the program pretty much to the "T" as far as meals and training go. We've had to make a few substitutions with the interval portions of some of the workouts because I have a home gym and can't perform those exercises on a treadmill, bike, stairmaster, elliptical, etc. So we sprint and jog/walk for the interval/steady-state cardio days and then use bodyweight exercises (burpees, mountain climbers, squat jumps) for the intervals on Mon, Fri and barbell complexes for the intervals on Wed.

So far, that seems to be working okay and gives us a break from sprinting. Hopefully, the second week will go much better and Stacey will begin seeing a difference in the mirror and on the scale.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I started Warp Speed on the Monday after Mother's Day myself - I love it but I have experienced the headaches - they ARE going away however -- I am trying to connect with all the bloggers participating in the program. :)