Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Seeking God's Will For My Life!

"O Lord my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them." - Psalm 40:5

God works in mysterious ways when we remain faithful to Him.

When we returned from our mission trip to Abangaritos, Costa Rica in June, I prayed to God every day and asked Him to show me what He has planned for my life and where He wanted me to go. At the time, I didn't realize that He had been giving me little signs along the way.

On the evening of July 30 as I was getting ready to leave work, my employer told me that they were letting me go. I was completely shocked. Once I got past the disbelief, I immediately realized that this was the sign I had been praying for each day.

I knew immediately that God had other plans for my life, but I wasn't sure what those plans were. I only knew that I had to remain faithful to Him and seek His will for my life.

I was very worried about our finances when I was let go from my job. Despite filing for unemployment, I knew it would not be enough to pay our bills. The loss of my income meant that we would not be able to pay our mortgage. We would have just enough money from Stacey's paycheck to cover all our other bills.

We had enough money to make the August mortgage payment, but I knew that we would not be able to make any other payments beyond that. I prayed that God would help us get through this difficult time, and He answered my prayer one day when Stacey received an unexpected check from work - it was enough to cover September's mortgage payment.

We should be able to pay October's mortgage as well. I'm not sure what will happen beyond October, but I know that God will provide if we remain faithful to Him.

Since being let go from my job, I have prayed to God every day asking Him to show me His will for my life. I have asked Him to show me the way He wants me to go. I have asked Him to show me His purpose for my life. I have asked Him to open and close doors to help guide me down the path He has laid before me.

I have received an incredible amount of support from family, friends and business contacts regarding various employment opportunities available to me. However, I had made a promise that I would not make a decision until I returned from our second mission trip to Abangaritos, Costa Rica -August 20-24 (I'll write about the return mission trip in a future blog).

Since my return, I have seen what God has planned for me. He has given me this opportunity to pursue a dream I've had for a long time. I have decided to start my own fitness business. This is my passion and it is a way for me to glorify God through the talent and gifts He has given to me.

I will need the help of family and friends to get things moving forward. I'm working on putting together my business plan, getting quotes for liability insurance, filing for LLC or S-corporation status, looking for a potential place to host my facility and much more!

If you have comments, suggestions or advice that may help me, please let me know.

1 comment:

T-mac said...

This isn't related to your post, but I thought you would appreciate this comment. I found your profile by clicking on one of my favorite books. Apparently, we share a bunch of them, including New Rules of Lifting, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Men's Health Power Training, and Maximum Strength. I, too, am an IYCA YFS 1. If you were to head over to my blog, however, you would see that we are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to our writing styles. Nevertheless, I am pleased to have found another passionate person in the fitness industry. Keep up the good work!